Have you ever gone to write a post about something and realize that the topic is just so massive that there’s no easy way to break it down? That’s how I feel about digesting all the battle system changes the FFXVI team shared in the newest Live Letter.
I wanted to write something more in-depth about it, but honestly, I’m sick with a cold that started last night, and not feeling completely up to par with tackling what would be something huge even if I was feeling well. I’ll say that overall, I feel positive about what I’m seeing.
If you want the Live Letter in its entirety, here you go. Just know that it’s almost 4 and a half hours long.
It might be easier to jump to the information consolidated on this Reddit Megathread.
So, here’s some takeaways my cold-muddled mind has from all this:
- I’m happy about the job-based skill changes.
- I’m good with all the attribute changes.
- I like consolidating skills into one button that changes in function depending on your level of content (ex. Stone, Stone II, Stone III, Stone IV).
- I’m not sure how I feel about the new job gauges. I understand what they’re trying to do with them, but some of them feel overly complicated (like Black Mage). I won’t know until I actually play the jobs, though.
- Dragoon is one of the jobs that I’m iffy about the gauge thing.
- I do like that the job gauges seem to make the classes more varied.
- Red Mage still has me interested, and the gauge thing seems not too overly complex for that job.
- I’m more impressed by Samurai than I expected to be. It looks fun.
- I’m SO HAPPY about the changes to Bard and Machnist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE BOWMAGE! That was all I ever wanted from them in Heavensward.
- I was also interested by the song job gauge the Bard was using, though I don’t understand what it all means.
- This is going to make choosing a main job hard.
- I’m interested and positive about changes to Healers. I really disliked stance dancing into Cleric Stance to do damage. It was a level of stress that drove me away from the Healer role… I may revisit White Mage now.
- I’m happy about the buffs Paladins are getting since it remains my tank of choice.
- I’m okay with the level and story jumping potions.
- I’m sad I can’t get a leveling potion for Red Mage, because that’s the only job I’d have a use for that on (would love to play Stormblood story through on Red Mage, but doesn’t look like that’s happening).
- Though I don’t play Summoner, I’m happy they get a Bahamut summon. 🙂
I’m sure there are other things, but that’s all I can muster for right now.